Much has been said and written about morning rituals. Today, I want to peel back the curtain and give you a glimpse into my morning ritual; Why do it, What I do, and the Results I have seen.
Why I Do It
Life can be a whirlwind of chaos, and it's easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle. Early mornings are a fresh start. Moreover, the wrong information fed into your brain early in the day can make your day miserable. Yes, you feed your mind, just like you feed your body – so be careful with that junk food and junk information. How you start your day sets the tone for the rest of it and a well-crafted morning ritual is the compass that guides you.
1. Clarity of Mind: The early hours are like a blank canvas. By crafting a morning ritual, I claim those hours for myself. It allows me to start the day with a clear and focused mind, free from the distractions that will inevitably pile up as the day progresses.
2. Energy Boost: A good morning ritual gets the body moving and energy flowing. It wakes me up to the day and prepares me for tackling whatever challenges get thrown my way.
3. The Numbers Don’t Lie: There is a strong correlation between success and strong morning rituals. Many of the world’s greatest achievers have spoken about the impact their morning ritual had on their performance. There are many other aspects to success, but the morning ritual is clearly in the top ten as an influencing factor.
What I Do
Now, let's dive into the nitty-gritty of what my morning ritual looks like. Remember, this is my unique formula, but feel free to borrow elements that resonate with you and create your own daily practice.
1. Early Rise: I'm a firm believer in the power of early mornings. Mornings are quiet and the mind is receptive to fresh information. I wake up between 5:30 – 5:45 AM.
2. Mindful Meditation: The day begins with a session of mindfulness meditation. I prefer guided meditations, but to each his own. Meditation sets a positive mind set and helps enhance my focus.
3. Morning Play/Walk: One of the many benefits of owning a dog is the morning walk. We usually play and cuddle for a bit first and then she wants to get out on the road. During the walk I reflect on the meditation and think about what I want to accomplish that day as we take in the sights and sounds of the morning.
4. Coffee and Mental Stimulation: After we return from the walk, I will grab a cup of coffee and some water and listen to the audio summary for a book while I hydrate/caffeinate. * I love learning and these 15–20-minute summaries are perfect for me. I take notes on key points and things I want to remember.
* I am caffeine sensitive, so I normally drink a low caffeine mushroom coffee (it does not taste like mushrooms).
5. Exercise: Heads phone in and power up. I work out 5-6 days per week. I do flow workouts, so I am not looking to “kill it!” but to energize the body. Every workout starts with stretching and mobility work (with either an upper or lower body focus). The workouts vary – core & shoulders, legs & glutes, back and biceps, chest and triceps. I vary it to keep it interesting. I plan the workouts for the week on Sunday night. One advantage of being a former personal trainer is that I know how to create programs for myself.
6. Get Cleaned Up: A quick shower with a nice blast of cold water at the end to really wake me up and I am ready to start work.
7. Solitude & Planning: I still use a Franklin Covey organizer. Before jumping into emails, I plan out my A, B, and C items for the day. It gives me a greater sense of priorities and better time management. I often will jot things down for the coming day the night before to save time.
In a word, the results of my morning ritual are nothing short of miraculous.
1. Heightened Productivity: With a clear mind and a well-organized plan, I'm much more productive.
2. Improved Physical and Mental Health: Regular exercise and mindfulness meditation have dramatically improved my well-being. I have more energy, better focus, and I feel more engaged in the work.
3. Enhanced Creativity: Listening to or reading mentally stimulating content inspires my own creativity. In fact, this blog is a result of my own reflections on something I listened to. I am a committed life-long learner. Reading, listening, journaling, and reflection stimulates my creativity and helps me approach challenges with innovative solutions.
4. Increased Gratitude: I have always loved the saying “Count your blessings.” If you literally start to count your blessings (starting with I am alive) you are quickly filled with a sense of humility for all you have and yes, gratitude. My sense of gratitude since I began my morning ritual is off of the chart. I am awe struck by it. I am infused with a deep sense of purpose and positivity.
5. Success and Fulfillment: My morning ritual has produced large dividends in my success and overall fulfillment. It keeps me grounded, focused on my goals, and constantly striving.
In closing, my morning ritual isn't just a routine; it's a commitment to myself. It's a reminder that each day is a new opportunity for growth, achievement, and happiness. So, if you've been toying with the idea of crafting your own morning ritual, I encourage you to take the leap. Embrace the power of your mornings, and watch as it transforms your life.
Remember, greatness isn't achieved overnight; it's built one morning at a time. Seize your mornings, and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.